Gedling

< Return to Gedling overview


Gedling is a village in Nottinghamshire, England, that is now a suburb of Greater Nottingham. It is situated four miles north-east of Nottingham city centre in the NG4 postcode. Gedling village was once a distinct settlement, which was recorded in the Domesday Book. Due to the growth of Nottingham, it is difficult to separate Gedling from the neighbouring town of Carlton.

Gedling was first settled around Saxon times, when the Saxon chief Gedl (hence the name Gedling, coming from the chief "Gedl" and "Ing" being Saxon for People, Gedl-Ing meaning "Gedl's People") sailed up the River Trent, and then up the Little Ouse dyke, until he could get no further up stream. He landed at the spot which is thought to be the present day site of All Saints Church. Gedling has had several version of its name including, Ghellinge, Gedlinga, Geddlings, and Gettang.

The local school is the Gedling School. There is a Sainsburys convenience store on Arnold Lane, and a Co-op supermarket on Gedling Road. In the older part of Gedling is All Hallows Anglican Church. It dates from the 11th century, with the oldest part of the church (the entrance) dating back to 1089 - although there have been four other churches on this site, the oldest dating back to the year 678AD. Gedling Colliery (which was once the life-blood of Gedling, and many of the other villages surrounding Gedling), opened in 1899 and was closed in 1991.

There are now plans to redevelop the site into a country park, to reopen the railway line from Nottingham railway station and to reopen Gedling railway station which was closed on 4 April 1960. The original station building is currently a youth hostel. The line itself officially closed in 1995 when the line to the colliery eventually was classed as redundant.

Despite being a fairly small place, Gedling gives its name to the local borough council which has its offices in nearby Arnold, and also to the local parliamentary constituency, which covers the suburbs to the east of Nottingham, including Arnold and Carlton. Village pubs are the Gedling Inn (Once the Chesterfield Arms) on Main Road, the Nottingham Phoenix on Shelford Road and the Westdale Tavern on Westdale Lane.



footer image

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. Continuing to use this site signifies your implied consent to the use of Cookies - pressing the “I Agree button” will remove this notice. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our "Privacy Policy" in the footer.